Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2008

How Do I...

The longer you write and the more people you tell you are a writer the more likely it is that someone will ask you, “How do you get published?” or “I have an awesome idea for you that you have to write.” Or “How do I get started?”



I get the first and last question the most and I usually answer it by stating the obvious…start writing. That answer is usually followed with a groan so I elaborate by saying “Really, start writing and then read, read, read.” If you want to write articles then read the type of articles you want to write in the publications you want to get published in. If you’re still interested in writing those types of articles then research and read on the subject of how to write articles for publication. Today with the Internet and information available there is no excuse for not educating oneself.



I started out as an article writer and did well. After a few years I realized I didn’t enjoy writing articles of any kind. What I really wanted to write was fiction, but I had no clue. Well I did have a small clue because I was and am an avid reader. I took my own advice and just started to write my stories. I wrote and write everyday. I’m a firm believer in practice makes me a better writer. Perfect doesn’t exist so I work to improve. I don’t believe in a muse either. If I waited for a muse to inspire me I’d never start let alone complete a story. Along side writing everyday I read. I read fiction and I read books, magazines and newsletters on writing. The key with reading about the craft of writing is not to get bogged down with everything there is to read. You need to practice what you’ve learned. If I’m having a plot problem I search out information on how to fix my plot problem. If my dialog is stale then you guessed it I search out resources on how to write effective and compelling dialog.



If you’re asking a fellow writer “How do I…” in writing you’re obviously a curious person so use your curiosity and take their advice. I don’t say Just Write to be short or get out of answering the question I say it because it’s true. I can relate my story of how I got started and I can share my favorite resources but it’s up to you to use the information. Writing is work and it’s definitely not easy, if it were everyone would be writing for a living.



So go ahead and ask me or any writer “How do I…” but don’t expect all the answers, expect that what you’ll get is a jumping off point. I believe that being a life long learner and reader is a huge part of being a writer.



Until next time good reading and writing!



2 comments:

  1. Gotta get rid of stuff on my DVR and get back to reading more and working on some writing. Just gotta keep my focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, the dreaded DVR :) I love mine! But I love reading and writing more so it's an easy choice for me. My creative endeavors are my passions and drive me to get up and live each day. My DVR is my procrastination. Do what excites you!

    ReplyDelete