Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2008

43 Books Read

I finished my 43rd book. I’ve read a few
stinkers, but most have been decent. Then there have been a few that just blew
my mind and 1000 White Women was one! I am a fan of books that use the Wild
West, Indians and so forth but 1000 White Women was more than a Wild West and Indian
story. It’s a fantastically written story with nuggets of truth. It’s written so
well that it’s hard to wrap your brain around the fact the book is fiction. May
Dodd and her female cohorts are written with such depth you think they have to
be real. I highly recommend 1000 White Women, by Jim Fergus.



Last week I read a Young Adult (YA) novel by Garth Nix
called Mister Monday and enjoyed it and will start the second book of the
series tomorrow called Grim Tuesday. Mister Monday was fast paced and packed
with action from beginning to end. The main character Arthur is 12 with a
serious asthma problem. He is pulled into another realm because The Will says
it’s so. This is a wonderful book for young and old. I definitely recommend if
you’re looking for a fun fantasy novel.





With 20 weeks left in the year I am 9 books from finishing
52. If I keep going I should finish the year with 63 books read. I realize
there are others who read more than one a week but this is a huge
accomplishment for me because I’m working outside of the home, writing a novel,
taking care of my family and home. It feels good to read and do it just because
I want too.





Until next time good reading and writing!



2 comments:

  1. Good for you. I haven't kept track this year, but I know I'm way behind you on books read. I read "Water for Elephants" because of your recommendation and really enjoyed it. I'll put "1000 White Woman" on my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed 1000 White Women. It was different than anything I've read so far this year. I was surprised how much I enjoyed reading it, though I shouldn't have been because I enjoy most of Larry McMurtry's stuff.

    ReplyDelete