Pages

Monday, December 19, 2005

Email Your Future Self

So, would you do it? Would you send an email to your future self to arrive three, five, ten or thirty years from now? Apparently there are people out in our small world doing just that. I read in my local paper today an article written by an Associated Press Writer that people are sending their future selves messages to arrive in the near or distant future through places like FutureMe.org. According to the article it's one of a handful of places that does this.

These services are touted as the Internet's equivalent to time capsules. It sounds like a load of crap to me. I like the idea of a present day time capsule and opening it in the future, but how on earth could an email written to myself be delivered to me in the future when email addresses are changed as often as a pair of socks. They say they have failsafe technology and backup software but the main thing they recommend to make this work is to hold onto that email address. Okay so I hold onto the email address but who's to say the provider will be around or I'll remember the login information thirty years from now. Like I said, it's all seems more like a load of crap and a way for these places to mine your email address legally.

Anyway, if I did send an email to my future self I would probably write a laundry list of my dreams and ask my future self to take stock in what I have or haven't accomplished. Then I'd probably feel like killing myself for not accomplishing my goals or be overly pleased with myself that I batted 1000. Either way I see no real use for the service and will go out on a limb and say I wouldn't use it. I won't say never though because every time I've done that I've gone off an done what ever I said I would never do, but that's a post for another day.

So, the question today is, to send or not to send messages to your future self, what will you do?



5 comments:

  1. Besides, isn't that what a blog is? Or any kind of journal? They're all just expressions of our current selves that our future selves will be able to look back upon and see how things have changed.
    What *i'd* be interested in is an email from my future self delivered to me now, so I know what's coming my way! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably be bummed out too if I read a list of my current dreams in the future. (LOL) Goodness forbid I should include a photo attachment of myself! :)
    They also forget that there are little doodie heads that like to hack into other people's email accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above poster, I consider my blog that. I think it will also be great for my kiddos to read all about their childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, I tend to overthink things too much already...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have journals written in my hand for my kids. My blogs won't be around and I don't write about them often enough in my blogs. But I guess blogs could be our youths time capsule.

    ReplyDelete