Pages

Thursday, March 9, 2006

Sit to Greet Revisited

Do you have a jumper? I do, my Beagle mix is a jumper and really gets going when she meets new people. Most people tell me it's okay while I am trying to get Josie's attention to sit. Every time they touch her when she jumps they inadvertently reinforce the jumping. As a dog owner and lover I don't like jumping dogs, it's embarrassing to me as the handler and if I'm on the receiving end it's annoying.



So what's an owner to do? Well, teach your dog to sit when greeting people. As with any new command or action have lots of tasty treats on hand and in the beginning use a greeter you know and who will follow your directions. The first thing you want to do is leash your dog. Next have your greeter approach and ask to pet your dog. As the greeter is approaching ask your dog to sit and then allow the greeter to pet your dog as long as fluffy is still sitting. If Fluffy jumps the greeter should withdraw, turn their back and walk away. You as the handler should then regain Fluffy's attention and ask him to sit again and repeat the exercise. If Fluffy appears calm and comfortable with the greeter then give the greeter the go ahead to pet. You should praise and reward Fluffy for allowing the stranger to pet him.



A few things not to do during this exercise are jerking the leash or pushing Fluffy down into a sit. After you've given your command let him figure it out. It won't take long before Fluffy understands that the person will only approach when he's sitting. It's also been my personal experience that one of the worst places to practice this exercise in the beginning is your vet’s office. For some unknown reason techs are the worst offenders of greeting your dog and encouraging it to jump on them. Work on sit to greet well in advance of your vet visit with as many different people as possible and have plenty of tasty treats to reinforce the new environment and reward heavily when Fluffy elects to sit instead of jumping all over the tech.



A calmed relaxed standing position is good as well, but the sit position is preferable especially if you plan on taking the Canine Good Citizen ship test.



Until next time Woof, Woof and a Roo!



(Disclaimer: I am not a certified trainer or behaviorist, I am sharing
what has worked for me and my dogs. I strongly advise all owners of
dogs regardless of age or breed to participate in positive dog training classes
with certified or proven trainers. You can find a trainer in your area by
visiting APDT.)



No comments:

Post a Comment