Pages

Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Shelter to the Furry

Animals whether cat or dog seem to know my home, especially cats. At one time three owned me, now I am owned by one, seventeen-year-old named Leonardo. He's my baby the only cat I truly love. I loved my other cats but Leo, named for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle is the one that no matter what enjoyed all the attention I showered on him before and after I brought home my first dog. Yesterday morning was normal the husband woke me and I came down and fed Leo and then the dogs and like clockwork I took the recyclables out to the garage and was greeted by a faint mew, actually a few mews. This winter my garage has been the warm spot that a neighborhood stray has called her own, only I thought she was a he until yesterday. She chose my garage to give birth to her kittens, possibly because she knew I'd take care of her, but more likely because my garage door is usually the only one open. We use the garage entrance rather than the front door.



She didn't look to great so I went against my own rule about feeding strays on our property and placed a bowl of water and another of canned food down for her. While she ate I checked the kittens and all of them were breathing and heart achingly cute. They couldn't stay with me so I made a call and a wonderful vet I know made his way to my home at 5:30 in the morning.  He gathered the momma and her six babies and was off. Unfortunately the momma died and that makes survival for her six newborns iffy at best. The mom apparently had feline leukemia and most likely so does her kittens. This is a preventable disease, just test and vaccinate your cat during their yearly check ups if they must go outside or the best solution keep your cat indoors, contrary to what many believe cats don't need to be outdoors they are quite content to live inside. Don't think your outdoor cat can make the transition; I know they can because one of mine did. She spent her entire life up until age fifteen outside coming in to eat. When I moved to my current home she became an indoor cat and her transition was flawless. She lived until 18 and I credit being indoors the last three years for that and the fact that I kept her vaccinations current.



It saddens me that those kittens may not survive, but it's comforting to know that she chose me to get her babies to a safe place. It's my hope that the kittens will be healthy.



Until next time Woof, Woof and a Roo!



1 comment:

  1. Absolutely heartbreaking. I'll have sad kitty dreams.
    I keep my cats indoors for just those reasons plus the added bonus of keeping my cats from killing the wee native aussie species.
    I believe cats are curious and want to be stimulated and we can provide that in our homes. I had a cat live to 22.
    While they may not survive, at least they have a chance of a peaceful passing instead of wasting away or becoming prey to whatever comes along thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete