Pages

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Wyatt Earp-18 Months

Wyatt3522_1In the last month or more I've noticed subtle changes in Wyatt. To many who meet Wyatt for the first time the changes wouldn't be noticeable, but I spend everyday playing and training with him and I see the small stuff. In the mornings he no longer spends the hour after he's eaten playing and running and generally wreaking havoc. Instead he takes his place in the corner of my sectional couch in the family room. When he's had his fill of snoozing on the couch he takes up residence on the hardwood floor in the hallway and snoozes happily until our 8:30 am playtime. He no longer follows the kids trying to engage them. Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that I've drilled leave the dogs alone into my kids Or it's because Wyatt is now 18 months old and the change happens naturally.



While I believe part of the change is natural I also think it has a great deal to do with training and a regular schedule. I also think I'm noticing the changes because Wyatt is the first dog I've raised since puppyhood. I've been through the affects of starting training and socialization late and to some degree I am still dealing with them. His behavior is on me because I am his trainer and leader. He's a wiggly boy and that has lessened to some degree but would be better if I worked harder with him to calm the wiggles. He barks for attention and again that's my fault for not ignoring it in the beginning. Overall though he's a wonderful housedog, he'll probably never be the therapy dog I wanted him to be but he's a terrific companion for my family and me. He thrives in the limited activity he's able to handle. He's an expert while out on our daily neighborhood walks. He doesn't jump, bark or do any of the annoying things many dogs will. He's comfortable with our neighborhood and the people that approach. But take him to the vet or the local Petsmart and you'll see a different dog. Wyatt becomes all things annoying. He barks and the wiggles come back like they never disappeared.



I've come to the conclusion he's happiest in his element that is our neighborhood and that's fine with me because I have two other dogs that thrive on getting out in public. But I will never give up the dream that I will one day be able to walk into Petsmart with Wyatt and have people approach telling me what a great dog he is and they can't believe how well behaved he is in such a crowded environment. Until that day I will continue to work him in the neighborhood and just enjoy who he is today.



Until next time, Woof, Woof, and a Roo!



1 comment:

  1. oh, i have faith. i used to teach 4th graders... it's so fun to find out that the class spazzmatroid has become mature and pleasant (but still has that impish spark). sounds like wyatt is coming around. i see petsmart in the future. i also see a nap for me. nite!

    ReplyDelete