Pages

Thursday, April 13, 2006

On The Right Track

Knock on wood I am actually on track this week to meet my writing and photography goals. I submitted my scene on time to my online critique group, I have a new batch of photos that I will have to choose which if any I'll use in the June photography show and contest. Some of them might also do well at a July event called Market in the Park. Writing wise my novel is moving along, while I wish I were finished I'm not but I'm still excited to write everyday and hang with the characters. Research on my next novel is moving along too, though I am wondering if I might be trying something beyond my skill. I won't let it stop me though because stretching my personal writing boundaries is the only way I'll improve and with some luck write my break out novel and get published. I've also sent out five queries and received three rejections this week for articles. I'm finding it much harder to get back into the article writing. I'm remembering why I left it three years ago.



This go round I'm specializing in what interests me most, dogs. Gone are the articles about kids, family and crafts. While they might get me published quicker and help me earn a paycheck faster I always despised writing them. I admit that I rarely if ever read the parenting magazines. When my oldest child was born I was given gift subscriptions to various parenting publications and I skimmed them but never sat and actually read an article thoroughly. I never cared what someone else thought I should do to raise my child right, so gone are the parenting articles for me. I always felt like a hypocrite writing those. Now I will stick to what really gets my passion going dogs, photography, writing and home repair. I'm also interested in trying my hand at greeting card writing. While I want the almighty national clip I'm concentrating on regional and trade publications for the time being. Pay is okay, while slow I am trying to rebuild the momentum and that means going back to where I started.



Until next time good writing.



3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to tell you how gorgeous the pictures are! I don't think you have lost your touch a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is like starting over, isn't it? I've been working around to starting to query again, after about two years of not sending a thing out. Like you, my focus has changed tremendously, and so I feel like I'm starting at ground zero. But, we did it once...we can do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, finding your focus! People always assume I want to write about parenting because I'm simply RIFE with children, but I think..um...that parenting articles are for the most part...sort of evil.
    So.
    I don't think I'm the best person for that job.

    ReplyDelete