Pages

Monday, May 15, 2006

Hype or No Hype It Was a Fantastic Read

I finished reading The Da Vinci Code yesterday and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. I read it fully expecting to finish it asking what the big deal was. But I finished it feeling like I got my monies worth and more. Usually books that are hyped by the press as this one leave me feeling cheated. From the start I was hooked and read it as quickly as I could. I actually tried to draw it out by actually working and trying to savor the story. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the so-called controversy because it's a fictional story. If the Catholic or other Churches are so worried about it then they must be lacking in their faith not only in God but in the people who believe as well. Did the book leave me with questions, sure, but it did not change what I believe. Could the foundation of the novel be true? It's possible because anything is possible. Asking questions and seeking knowledge is good. And yes this book has spurred my curiosity and I have and will read a few of the books that Brown used for research in writing his book. Will it change my faith? Probably not. Will it answer my questions satisfactorily, probably not, because in the end it comes down to my personal beliefs and the strength of my faith.



This weekend I received my matted photos for the photography show/contest I'll be entering at the end of June. Some of the photos I had already viewed in printed form so they weren't much of a surprise but two photos of some irises I took actually made me drop my jaw. Seeing them on the computer screen didn't do them justice and quite frankly I don't think a computer screen does justice to any photo. It still amazes me that I took that photo. Holding those photos in my hands is what pushes me to continue to follow my dream and give me the proof that I am one step closer to my dream.



I hit a bump in my novel and spent much of my weekend thinking about what's missing. I'm so close to finishing but the loose ends aren't coming together the way I thought they would. I have a few ideas to get to the end so I will push through the fog and let the characters speak. I do not believe in writer's block and I do not believe in the writer's muse. Those are excuses in my opinion not to write, so I push through and write regardless. What ends up on the paper during any writing session I have is not set in stone. If it's crap I'll fix it later or rework it when I start my revisions. What's important for me is to get the bones of the story down. I'm almost to the end and while this novel has taken longer I think it'll be worth it. But now it's time to stop putting off my work and write through the murk.



Until next time, good writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment