Pages

Monday, June 12, 2006

Honeymoon Is Ending

The honeymoon is ending and that's okay. Luna is doing well. She is adjusting to Josie who is showing her true colors. Josie and Luna have started running and playing with each other and so far so good. Luna and Wyatt are still adjusting they still have a ways to go. I am walking them together and taking them outside together and leaving Dexter and Josie inside occasionally to socialize them separately. I fill my pocket with kibble and other yummy treats and interact with both of them. Asking one to wait while I pet the other and then reward the other with the yummy treats to show each of them that good things are worth waiting for. Butting in will not get them what they want; waiting patiently will reap more rewards. I'm also taking her out with Dexter and Josie and repeating the same waiting exercise.



Toys are another issue. Luna having been kept outside and tied up is not used to sharing a home let alone space with three other dogs has a bit to learn about proper doggy manners. Growling over toys is not allowed in my home and shouldn't be tolerated. W, D and J have no issues in this area but Luna does and is now learning that her growling won't be allowed and toys are removed. She has some issues but all are workable as long as my family and I work hard to show her the way. She gets no break because she came from a rough life, she has to work for attention and treats the same way W, D and J do. While she's eager to please right now I have no doubt that as she relaxes and becomes comfortable living in our busy household she will begin to test the boundaries just as the other dogs have and do. She will learn through our consistency in training and schedule that we don't bend and rules are rules and there for everyone's benefit.



The hardest part of adding a dog whether it's a second or fourth is giving each one alone time with me. While in a perfect world that would happen every day, it doesn't in my home. I do make every effort to walk each one alone with me and work on their training at least three times a week. Right now Luna is getting a little more alone time. But I need that time with her to work on the basics with her. The first being name recognition since we have changed her name. My time alone with her has also shown me that she already knows quite a few basic commands. She sits on verbal and hand signal cues, she knows what off means and responds immediately, she waits to exit the backdoor and has the beginnings of a good sit-stay.



No matter which dog I work with, they all have a way to go in their training, but with my kids home for the summer it will become a family affair.



Until next time Woof, Woof, Woof and a Roo!



2 comments:

  1. great advice! i'd not thought of that and i read bits out loud so i'd remember them. same trick for humans for finding where i parked on the holidays. are there pictures of luna?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I started doing this exercise after reading Feeling Outnumbered, by Patricia McConnel. Yes, Luna has a photo album, but it seems I forgot to post it here :)

    ReplyDelete