Pages

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Four Days of Calm

What do you get when you remove two fidgety kids from home and a pack of four dogs? Yes, four dogs, but more than that you get four days of peaceful, relaxed living. I've realized as the summer progressed that much of the energy my dogs have exhibited has had more to do with the energy my kids nine and thirteen were giving off. Kids are energetic and that's great but couple that with the excitability of four relatively young dogs and you get excitement overload.



But last Thursday through the weekend I saw a very different side to my dogs. I saw calm, well-exercised and mannered pups. Actually I spent less time exercising them than I have all summer. I took them for two thirty-minute walks around the neighborhood and we probably only spent a cumulative hour outside playing fetch each day. That's actually half of what I normally do with them and all four dogs spent more time lounging or sleeping. So what does this tell me? My dogs get more than enough exercise and that I need to spend more time helping my kids focus their nervous or excited energy so that it doesn't over stimulate the dogs. When I figure out what my plan of action will be I'll let you know.



Until next time Woof, Woof, Woof and a Roo!



No comments:

Post a Comment