Pages

Monday, August 21, 2006

SPCA Walk & New Routine

We're gearing up for the 8th annual walk for the Fredericksburg SPCA at my home. This will be our second year participating. We adopted Josie and all her quirkiness from the SPCA in April 2005 when she was just 4 months old as a playmate for Wyatt. Josie is an awesome example of how wonderful a dog from a shelter can enrich family life. While she's had her challenging moments she has brought more joy to our home than not. She's taught everyone in our home about patience. She took forever to housebreak but that light bulb moment happened. She finally walks passably on leash, but more than that she's a great dog and companion. She loves being with my kids; she's a cuddle pup, loves people and accepts the presence of almost any dog. While I would probably not adopt another hound mix in the future I wouldn't give Josie up for anything. No dog is easy but Josie has given new meaning to testing one's patience. However every day she's with us she brings joy and laughter to our hearts and we have the Fredericksburg SPCA to thank for that. Participating in the walk is our ways of saying thank you and to help a wonderful organization raise funds to help other pets like Josie find new and loving families.



Over the next few weeks the dogs, kids and I will be gearing up for a new morning routine. I am going back to work and the dogs will need to adjust to having my 13 year old putting them in their crates for a short naptime. My new job has me working a split shift from 6 am - 9 am, so the dogs will only send around two hours in their crates and then they'll need to take another short nap in the afternoon for about 45 minutes until my daughter gets home from middle school. As jobs go what better schedule could my dogs or I ask for except maybe not having to work. I get to get out and mingle with kids and adults, bring in additional income for the family (read between the lines dogs) and I still get to come home for six hours in between shifts to work on my writing and play with my dogs. It's the best of both worlds for me and hopefully it won't take too long for the dogs to adjust. Though three hours in their crates isn't a long time, it's more than they're used to outside of spending their nights sleeping in their crates but definitely shorter than many dog homes. Dogs are adaptable creatures and I have no doubt that by the end of the first week they'll be just fine with the new routine.



Until next time Woof, Woof, Woof and a Roo!



No comments:

Post a Comment