Pages

Saturday, September 2, 2006

Goodbye Leonardo

Normally I write about my dogs, but today I will write about my other furry feline friend Leo2_copy_1
Leonardo. Thursday I had to make the difficult decision to help ease his pain and suffering. For the 18 months he had suffered from kidney disease a common ailment in senior cats and my Leonardo was definitely a senior at 17 years. Leo was lucky, he was diagnosed early and medication helped to prolong his quality of life for another year.

Catbeer0502copy
He went peacefully Thursday and it's been hard on all of us. But it's been really tough for me because I nursed him back to health when he was a kitten. I'd had Leonardo in my life since he was four weeks old and he's been a constant companion for almost the entire time DH and I have been together. I feel like an era has ended. I know that must sound funny, especially because Leo was a cat but he was my comfort cat when things went terribly wrong and even Thursday as I held him before I helped him to a better life he purred and licked my face as if to comfort me. Normally he struggles when I take him to the vet's office but not yesterday. I laid him gently on the table and he stayed. Even though the vet asked me not to get close to his face I knelt down and looked him in the eyes while I stroked his favorite spot on his head. I kissed his nose and right before he went to sleep he licked my tears.



I don't cry easily in front of people, I actually grew up in a home where it was considered a weak thing to do and Thursday I let the tears slip out and after it was over I quickly composed myself left and came home and set to the task of cleaning the house. I wouldn't let myself cry because I still had to tell my kids and then go to work. Right now I'm locked in my office silently crying my heart out. And the sad part is not that I'm crying it's that when I told some friends they basically said well that's one less vet bill. I thought they'd understand since all of them have cats.



This is the first time in my entire life that I have not had a cat in my life. In 36 years I've had five cats and all of them have reached at least 15 years of age and now I have none and getting another is not an option with two of my dogs as they bothered Leo non-stop for the last two years.



Life goes on and while our hearts ache we still have four wonderful and healthy dogs to care for and that helps. Until next time Woof, Woof, Woof and a Roo!



2 comments:

  1. Linda, I am so sorry about Leo. Even though I love my dogs, my cat is extra-special to me. I would be devastated without her. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw man... i feel your pain. no, i do. i got my urn with sierra in it yesterday. and took my other cat to the vet for a check up and to pay for their service for sierra. i do very much feel your pain.
    there's no shame in bawling. you lose an era. where were you when you got her? what did she see? where did she go with you. it's like a memory keeper has moved on.
    i now this is late. as i've been distracted. but i'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete