Pages

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Snow & Cold

The weather the last few days has been downright chilly to say the least. Actually it’s been freezing! When I left for work yesterday morning the thermometer read six degrees and the wind chill was below zero. Only one of my dogs likes this cold, Wyatt Earp is up for anything, anytime especially if it involves his Kong Ball or snow. Josie likes to think she’s up for anything but she starts shivering within minutes of going outside and usually does her business and runs back to the house. Poor Luna has no choice, I take her out she does her business and then I usher her back in thus making sure she does not run on her injured leg. Dexter will actually get to the door and at the last second decide he’s not going out, he can hold it for a while longer.



All this cold is wreaking havoc on my dogs exercise. Normally we spend at least thirty minutes outside in the morning after I get home from my morning shift at work, but with the wind and the already low temperatures it’s been hard to string ten straight minutes outside. Walking them is out of the question, though my dogs wouldn’t mind but I’m not freezing my fingers off. Thankfully I have indoor games to play with my pups. We play hide and seek, do training exercises and I’ve started shaping a new trick with Wyatt and Josie. I working on having the two sit face to face and then I’d like them both to sit up on their hind legs. Both already know how to sit face to face and how to beg on command so that’s the easy part to shape. The hard part is teaching them to play patty cake. Josie is better at begging and Wyatt has trouble holding the stance but excels at the patty cake motion. The mental exercise will help tire the dogs, but the physical is what they really love and hopefully today the wind won’t be so terrible and they get plenty of snow running.



Until next time Woof, Woof, Woof and a Roo!



No comments:

Post a Comment