Pages

Friday, April 13, 2007

Bodies The Exhibition

Boy oh, boy does this conjure several different story lines in my imagination! I want to see this! What am I talking about well take a look it’s called BODIES…The Exhibition. Locally there are people who are upset that this is an exhibition of real dead bodies. Me, I'm curious. I've looked at the web site and I do see the education potential but do I want my kids to see it? Yes, but only if they are interested in seeing it with me.



“With educational relevance for all ages, this exhibition of real human specimens immerses visitors in the complexities of the human body, telling us the amazing story of ourselves with reverence and understanding.” Quoted from the above referenced web site.



According to the news report I just saw the bodies were obtained legally and were preserved according to standard mortuary practices, then dissected to show whatever they wanted to show, then immersed in acetone and finally placed in silicone and a vacuum chamber. Now that’s my condensed version and if you want the full affect check out the official web site BODIES…The Exhibition.



So are you appalled or curious?



Until next time Good Writing!



2 comments:

  1. Normally, I'd say an exhibition like that might be interesting, but not now after I found out what's going on about three miles behind me.
    Our local state university will be starting a "Body Farm." They'll be taking dead human bodies and letting them decompose so police officers and medical examiner students can study them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to see the exhibit in Seattle last fall with my 18 yo daughter and my father. It was fascinating! I've been a medical transcriptionist for 16 years, so I was able to see what I'd been typing for so long. My daughter and dad also loved it.
    There were MANY children there...some very, very young. I didn't see any of them cringeing or looking uncomfortable. They actually all looked to be thoroughly enjoying themselves and learning a lot. I have a feeling a squeamish child might have difficulty, and the bodies are "graphic" in that they are all men with the except of the part of the exhibit dealing with the reproductive system. The bodies are not covered up in any way.
    But, again, I thought it was incredible. When my stomach started grumbling toward the end of the exhibit, I checked my watch and was shocked to find that 3-1/2 hours had gone by without out us noticing the passage of time at all.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete