Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Outsmarting Wine & Other Stuff

The kitchen makeover didn’t start this weekend. It ended up being another weekend on the run. Next weekend the DH and kids are off to a speed skating meet so I just might get to declutter the kitchen and maybe some sanding. I’ll get my before photos taken this week too.



I finally finished Eragon yesterday afternoon. It took a while because I was only reading it thirty minutes a day before my afternoon shift at work. This was the second time I’d read it and I loved it again! It’s one of the best and well-written books I’ve read. I also finished rereading Little Women for my book club. My club wasn’t impressed with it. They found Alcott’s writing awkward and they aren’t wrong. I don’t believe the book would have any chance of publication in this age even if the language was updated. It breaks too many rules of fiction. The language is dated too and most of us felt that since most elementary and middle schools no longer stock the title it’ll probably fall off the classics list.  I also wished I hadn’t read it again because it sort of broke the magic I felt for the book.   



My next fiction book is Eldest the next book after Eragon. I’ll be reading that the same way I did Eragon in thirty minute increments before my afternoon shift at work. I’m still waiting to hear what our next book club read is and I have two non-fiction books going. Between the Lines is a writing book and I’m Oldman’s Guide to Outsmarting Wine.



The DH and I are trying to find a hobby to do together and I suggested wine and we’ve tasted them, now we want to gain more knowledge on the terminology and the finer points. We’ve decided that we should be reconnecting now instead of waiting until the kids go to college. We recently celebrated 17 years married and our oldest DD is a freshman in high school and we decided we don’t want to become a statistic and end up in divorce court when the kids are grown and gone from the home so we’re in search of our new couple’s identity. I suggested something we used to do before kids but with a new twist. We loved to go out and drink before kids but now that we’re older going out isn’t a necessity so the twist comes in with wine. Neither of us knows much about wine so we can learn together doing a bit of the old.



I’m off to read. Until next time good writing and reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment