Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Getting Healthy My 90 Day Goal

This is my year to get back to the healthy person I was four years ago. The person who wasn’t overweight, the person who looked forward to the two to five mile walks with my dogs, the person who rolled out of bed with no problems at 4 am.



Actually I started to get healthy last year around this time, but developed a cold that turned into a cough that hung around for almost five months. During those five months I bruised ribs coughing and slept very little. I didn’t feel sick even with the cough. I found out that the cough was related to emphysema and asthma. While I went to doctor after doctor I kept up with my new found way of eating, actually it wasn’t new I went back to eating three healthy meals and a snack or two a day. I kept walking my dogs at least 30 minutes.



But all that went to hell during the summer of 07. I slept three months of my life away. I missed the entire summer.  I’d wake at 5 am walk Wyatt then come back and feed the dogs and then fall exhausted onto the couch and sleep until 2 or 3 pm. It wasn’t until October of 07 that I found out I had an under active thyroid. Under active doesn’t really do justice to how bad my thyroid numbers were, I’ve been on my meds since the end of October and while my numbers aren’t normal I feel like a normal human being again. My weight dropped close to 20 pounds over the last three months; I feel the loss in my joints and feet. They ache less than they did before I started to lose the weight. I’m sleeping better and I have more energy.  Losing the next 50 to 60 pounds doesn’t scare me as much now because I’m doing the right things.



I’m not concentrating on the number on the scale. I more interested in watching the foods I put into my body and getting enough exercise. The numbers that I’m interested in are related to my cholesterol and blood pressure. Both are too high, well the cholesterol was as of last September, but I have a feeling those numbers have come down since then because I’m eating well and exercising. I’ll have my cholesterol checked again in a few weeks. But getting healthy isn’t just about my physical body; it also encompasses my mind, creative soul and home. Right now I am resting my creative soul and concentrating on my body and getting my home in order. I’m slowly getting my home the way I want and once I get a routine going and all the clutter gone I know my creative soul will flourish. I’ve set a goal to lose 20 pounds, eat right, exercise, bring my blood pressure down and get my house in order over the next 90 days. My 90 days officially began January 20th.



To date I’ve lost one pound, exercised for 30 minutes three times since Sunday and today I plan to declutter the kitchen cabinets. And to relax I plan to finish reading Gone for Good by Coben, last week I read Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King. It was good but I’ve read better novellas from him. My book count for this month is 5.



Until next time good writing and reading!



4 comments:

  1. the thyroid is a bugger. and many docs don't get it as the problem. glad you're on your way and are focusing on your health.
    i hope 2008 is much better to you.
    i'm reading the female of the species, a collection of spooky ones by joyce carol oates. not king spooky, but jco spooky. i get wiggy and can't sleep, but that's why i read it.
    give wyatt a scratch from his aussie-based fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your goals and your focus. You are quite an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a pain but once the thyroid is regulated I'm told things are good from that point on :) I like Joyce Carol Oats. But then I love anything that falls into the spooky and horror genre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Lisa :) I really think my writing will only get better if I'm healthier all around.

    ReplyDelete