Pages

Monday, September 8, 2008

Hanna Came and...

Hanna came and left my area with almost seven inches of rain. Our basement did take on water, but we were able to use huge fans to push the water to our sump pump and keep it from filling the entire basement. Yesterday I sprayed a natural anti-fungal to help prevent mold and today I will reapply. If it stays dry this weekend I’ll get the DH to patch an area on the front porch that I believe is part of our water problem.

Saturday could have been much worse and I’m thankful it wasn’t. Since I couldn’t control the rain or the fact that it was seeping in my basement I decided to read. I finished Dave Barry’s first novel Big Trouble. Well, the title foreshadows the book. I was quite disappointed. This novel was in Big Trouble from the start. Too many subplots and the POV were convoluted. Stephen King said he fell out of his chair laughing, was that his polite way of saying, ‘Dave, my friend stick to humor from life essays?’ Because that’s my thought, now I’m trying to decide whether to take the time to read his novel Tricky Business.

My next book club book is Night, by Elie Weisel. I read this a while ago and was moved to tears. It’ll be interesting to see if I have the same reaction with my second reading. This book is also on my 15 year old’s 10th grade reading list. She is a reluctant reader so I’m interested to hear her take on this horrific time in history.

Until next time good reading!



2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with all the books you are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) But maybe if I read less I'd get more writing accomplished.

    ReplyDelete