Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

School's Out for Winter

It feels like the snow days will never end. My hopes were dashed at 6:04 am. Schools are now closed. When I went to bed last night they had a two hour delay. I was happy. My kids have gone to school exactly 1 day this month. They were supposed to go yesterday but the PTB decided the rural roads were too dangerous and we were supposed to get another couple of inches, which never materialized. We received a dusting. The funny (not really) part of this is our county officials don't seem to think this is going to impact our children's education. Eleven days out of the classroom is nothing to them because on the upside we'll be making up three of the days! Big DEAL! What about the other eight?

My question is why can't the county find an alternative. More than half the county appears to be ready for school, why not get them back and figure something else for those in the rural areas. Way back when I was a kid they rarely canceled school and if buses couldn't hit certain streets our parents took us to school. No yelling at me I get the whole ice and buses don't mix, my children ride the bus to school. School is not my children's babysitter, my kids actually like going to school and on several occasions have asked the same question of WHY school is out.

Oh well, my whine is over, now I need to pull lunch and an extra snack out of my magic hat because my day care is open the entire day again.

Until next time live well now.



No comments:

Post a Comment