Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Finding the Will

Making my dreams a reality hasn’t been a priority in my life lately and it’s showing in my attitude toward the people in my life and life in general. I took myself off the list back in 2009 when I opened an in-home licensed daycare. I needed to build the business.That’s an ongoing process when you own a business. So it’s high time I find the balance that’s right for me.

I have a list of dreams waiting for me and it’s time to make room for them to come true.Dreaming about how life should be is fun, but dreaming doesn’t make things so.Hard work, perseverance, strength and will make dreams a reality. Lately all I’ve been doing is dreaming and talking about my dreams but talking doesn’t make them come true.

I had an attitude shift about a week ago when a writer I respect posted this quote on the list serve-

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." - Vince Lombardi

She posted the quote to show how one might get past “writerly ruts and not give up”. She planned to cut it out and post it on her plot board. Me I printed it and tacked it onto my vision board. The quote hit me hard because I think of myself as successful. I run a successful daycare and have had my writing published and I written several unpublished novel manuscripts. I have the strength and knowledge when it comes to creating and finishing a story but I realized I lacked the will to follow the manuscript to the end, that being publication. I have three manuscripts that I believe are publishable and I’ve been told they are by people who know the business. My lack of will to follow through with agents has prevented my dream of publication from having the chance to come true.

The past week I began to work on my lack of will. I put me on the top of the To Do List; number one is to research agents for one hour and begin writing queries for the agents I think match my writing. I’m on Day 4 of research and I’ve found five agents now I’m onto writing the queries. I am determined to be as successful a writer as I am a business owner.

Until next time, live well now!

No comments:

Post a Comment