Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2005

No Resolutions, Only Aspirations

The New Year is tomorrow and I'm still thinking about what I want to accomplish in 06. I’m not into making resolutions, they leave a bad taste in my mouth. There's high expectations attached when people make their resolutions and when the expected results don't come to pass most people feel like they've failed especially when they've announced to the world what they're going to do. I'm not going to resolve to lose weight, though I need too, nor am I going to state my intentions to write a specific numbers of queries for articles. I won't announce any plans to get my work published because the only part of publishing I can control is what I write unless I publish my work myself. I'm not going to promise myself or anyone else that I'll write daily in my blogs because some days I have more important things to tend too. I won't make any lofty promises to clean house everyday because I know from past experience that it doesn't work for me. I clean when I can't take it anymore. I'll continue to wipe down counters, pick up as I go and wash laundry as needed because there are more important things in life than a spotless home. What's more important is different for each of us but for me it's my kids and family, my writing and photography and my dogs.

I've come to the realization that having kids and dogs is not conducive to having a spotless home. If my mother were here she'd have a conniption and start cleaning my house. She'd probably start in the living room where the baseboards are rife with paw prints of my dogs. Then she'd move to the kitchen and remove the piles of magazines, papers and mail. She'd probably faint if she saw the muddy paw prints that line the wall in my family room that leads to the dog crates. The dog crates alone would send her over the edge. For me though I'll get to the paw prints, piles of magazines, mail and papers when they grate on my last nerve because I'd rather write, photograph anything that interests me, play with my dogs and be with my family.

This New Year I won't resolve to do anything, instead I aspire to be a better person, parent, wife and dog owner. I aspire to become a published novelist, working writer and photographer. I aspire to learn when, where and from whom ever I can. I aspire to be me. Happy New Year! 





2 comments: