Pages

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Annie Our New Foster

Annie473501
It's been a while but we have a new foster Greyhound. Her name is LuckyPatsy Ann she's called Annie. So far she's doing very well. She met all three of my dogs with no problems. I was most impressed with the way Wyatt behaved. In the past he's barked at the new foster for five minutes or longer, but not today he barked two maybe three times and that was the end of it. That was Saturday afternoon. Sunday was uneventful mostly because we spent the day at the annual VAGA Picnic. Both Dexter and Annie were wiped out when we got home. It was a long day of running and lots of pets from other adoring Greyhound owners.


Annie473601
Annie is a beautiful blue brindle. She's quiet and quite the love bug. She's been relaxed with us since she arrived. The only signs of stress were during her initial meetings with my dogs and at the picnic. We were told she's a picky eater, but the first thing I noticed was not that she was a picky eater, she was stressed with all the other dogs around her. My kitchen isn't small but it isn't all that large when you have four big dogs waiting to eat. So I moved her away from my dogs, but not out of the room. I want her to be comfortable but I also want her to feel like she's a part of the pack. Saturday she barely ate a cup of food, but Sunday morning she inhaled a cup and a half of food and did the same thing in the evening. Monday she ate 3 cups of food total and did so in the kitchen with my dogs. So she's not picky she's nervous at feeding time and that is all ready getting better.



Monday however was not the easiest day at my home. Josie and Annie wanted the same toy and well neither got it because I put the toys away. Annie decided she was going to take the toy and Josie wasn't going to give it up. I was able to refocus both dogs with my voice. I used a stern tone and the word hey. They backed away from the toy and I picked up the toys, told them to go lay down and both lay down and I praised them for listening. It seems that Annie loves toys and will do anything for them. Good for training but not good if you're in the habit of leaving toys around. So the toys are up and I'm going to use her love of toys to work on obedience commands.



Now we've started day three with Annie and it was much better than yesterday (Monday). Mealtime was still a little stressful for her but she ate in the kitchen without incident and with the toys out of sight all of the dogs went to their favorite spots and laid down. A much better start to our morning.



Until next time Woof, Woof and Roo, Roo!



No comments:

Post a Comment