Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Follow The Leader

We've taken another paw print forward! I've said before that I get excited about the small things and this is a small step in the right direction. For the past two weeks since Luna arrived Wyatt's barking increased. He would bark when Luna and Josie would play, he would bark when anyone would pay attention to Luna and he would just bark-to-bark. This morning however they went about their usual routine with my husband and then he left for work and I took over the morning routine of feeding the cat and then the dogs. All goes well with breakfast and then goes downhill after because Josie gets a surge of energy and starts rough housing with Luna. This morning however was slightly different in that Wyatt went and laid in the family room after he'd eaten. Josie and Luna had barely finished their breakfast before their morning ritual of playing had started and Wyatt didn't bark! He just lay there and when the play got too close to him instead of barking he got up and went to lay in the living room! I wanted to jump for joy and tell him what a great boy and job he done, but all that would have done was amp the excitement in the air from Josie and Luna. Instead I stepped outside with my cell phone and released my excitement with a phone call to my husband who no doubt was rolling his eyes and thinking big deal.



A bark-free morning is a big deal to me. It was the first time I didn't have to dole out the treats when Wyatt was quiet. It's a small sign that he is truly relaxing in Luna's presence. Maybe a light bulb went off in his mind that if Josie is playing with Luna he's free to laze about and not have to worry about Josie play biting his hind legs. It also means that my training is starting to pay off. As I sit here on my couch writing this with Wyatt laying next to me and Luna laying at my feet, I realize that it's the first morning I didn't tense up after the dogs ate their breakfast. Instead I didn't touch or react to any of the dogs. I went about my morning ritual of drinking coffee, emptying the dishwasher, washing the water dish and writing. And in turn I was rewarded with a peaceful early morning.



While it's progress the dogs and I have a ways to go. Training won't stop but this morning has taught or rather reinforced that while shaping behavior and training is important, MY behavior and body language is equally important. I ignored Josie and Luna and Wyatt followed MY lead and did the same. I guess you could say Wyatt played follow the leader.



Until next time Woof, Woof, Woof and a Roo!



No comments:

Post a Comment