Pages

Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Katz on Dogs

I just finished reading Katz on Dogs by writer, trainer and dog lover Jon Katz and I highly recommend reading this book whether you are thinking about adopting or purchasing a dog from a breeder. I recommend this book not because of the training theory, because honestly I thought the book lacked a clear view of Katz's training regime. I believe this is a must read book because Katz makes a point to ask the tough questions, the toughest being why do you really want a dog?



As I read Katz's chapter on Why Do I Want A Dog? I asked myself after the fact why did I want Wyatt? It's a moot point as I already have him but I wrote down three reasons one or all will make many cringe. Go ahead and cringe but one of my reasons was I loved the look of a Golden Retriever mixed with a Standard Poodle, yes Wyatt is one of those "Designer " breeds. The second "Why" was the chance to own an allergy friendly dog for my husband and finally because I was filling a void in my life. All of my reasons are valid for me and no one else, but asking why you truly want a dog is a great place to start before getting your furry pal.



Katz covers every angle of dog ownership from Why, the Perfect Dog (hint there is no such thing), Why Training Matters, Why Do I want Another Dog, Loving & Losing Dogs, Coexisting with dogs and so much more. Katz's writing is fresh and fun. He's an expert who freely admits he still has training lapses and that's actually a comforting thought to someone like myself who aspires to become a trainer.



Another main point or theme of his book might be tough for many, but it's important for all dog owners and potential dog owners to realize. It's actually so simple that you'll say I know this, but really ask yourself do you practice it? What is the point? Well, your dog is a dog. He's not human and he's not our child, sure he's a family member but he's not our equal, if he were he'd be out earning a paycheck, feeding and providing his own shelter. But dogs can't do that. It's up to us to take care of their every need. The most basic needs is for we humans to learn to communicate with them, teach them to live in our world and remember dogs will always be dogs, not human.



Until next time Woof, Woof, Woof, and a Roo!



No comments:

Post a Comment