Pages

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Multiple Writing Realities

When as a writer is a novel a reality? When you start writing it? When you're half or three-quarters of the way finished with the first draft or when you've finished all the edits and are ready to submit to agents?



For me I believe the novel is a reality when the story is a completed draft and when you've finished all the revision and you're ready to submit to agents. How can I have two realities, easy because it's my reality. Finishing the first draft is my first realization that I do have the determination to write a novel length story. That's a huge hurdle that most people who say I'm going to write a novel never jump and right now I'm in the process of jumping that hurdle for the seventh time. Though this seventh novel in progress has taken 16 months to reach the three-quarters mark it for me is some of my best writing. I've seen definite growth in my work. Technically this novel is not a reality in my view but it will be in a few weeks if I stay focused.



I also believe there is another level of reality to novel writing and that's the finished story with all revision and edits complete and I'm ready to submit to an agent or publishing house. This to me is the most convincing evidence that I am able to take a story with possibilities and make it a reality. It proves if to no one else that I can write a novel. After more than twelve years of writing I think the hardest part is believing I will finish. The more I write the more I realize that writing is NOT easy, if it were everyone would be a writer and published novelist. While I haven't reached this level of reality with my current WIP I know it's only a matter of time because I reached this level six times before. Now if I could reach my ultimate reality and get the first novel published, welcome to my writing reality.



Until next time Good Writing!



No comments:

Post a Comment