Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Odd Morning and Home Improvement Bug

I had an odd start to my morning. I did my normal routine of waking, getting my coffee, and then feeding my dogs. Once that is finished I usually give a kiss to the husband as he leaves for work and I gather the trash to take out. This morning I didn’t have trash to empty but I heard noises outside where my trash is, so I went out and turned the flood light on and what I found was a huge raccoon! It could have easily weighed 30 or 40 pounds. It was a giant. It stared at me and walked calmly with in six feet of me out to the end of my drive way and then turned and kept staring at me. I backed into my garage and closed the door.



Then when my youngest kid and I were leaving the house to go to work and school we came face to face with two barky and growling dogs! It’s one thing to know how to handle the situation and another to put it into action. We did just fine; we stopped in our tracks and stayed quiet. We ignored them and they got bored with us and eventually went on their merry way. It turns out that these dogs belonged to a neighbor and they got out of their fenced in yard because one of their kids forgot to latch the gate. But what was important is my daughter and I did what we learned and was not harmed by the dogs. The down side to waiting out dogs is that they could have hung around for much longer than the five minutes we stood frozen. The main thing to remember if you’re ever confronted by a loose dog is not to approach it, stay calm and do not run! If you run you risk having that dog chase and injure you. Stay calm, quiet and still. Dogs get bored with things that don’t interact with them and that’s just what happened for my daughter and me this morning.



So the odd morning is almost over, thank heaven! Yesterday I bitten by the home improvement bug, I was sitting on the can in our very small powder room when I finally decided I’ve had enough of the ugly faux wood fixtures and beach theme the previous owners put in there. I was inspired to go out to Lowes and choose my new fixtures. Everything except the toilet and floor will be ripped from the room! Gone is the ugly sand castle border! Gone is the ugly sand castle tile that only runs above the sinks back splash. Gone are the wood fixtures and Hollywood style lights! In comes bold and fresh! The bold is my color choice, it’s called Posh Red. The fresh comes from the fixtures. The new sink will be a streamlined pure white cabinet with a pure white sink that matches the pure white toilet. I’ve chosen a chrome faucet and chrome to finish off the hand towel rack and outlet and light switch covers. And I can’t forget the awesome light fixture in chrome with a frosted and clear swirl design on the glass shades. The best part of the whole project is that it will cost me less than $500 to do the entire powder room. I hope to do this project this weekend. I will post before and after photos so stay tuned!



Now I need to get to my novel! Until next time, good writing!



No comments:

Post a Comment