Pages

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Going Back to School

Tonight Luna and I go to our Doggy Manners class, we had a crazy weekend with out of town guests and it sent Luna into a tail spin. Wyatt was also a tad out of sorts so that didn’t help.



Monday I received two new books to devour with the hope that they will help me read my dog’s body language better. I’ve already read Turid Rugaas’s book Calming Signals and learned that I have been instinctively doing some of the signals as well as reading some of their language correctly. But now I will read the book again and concentrate on observing one or two signals at a time. My hope is to use the information to calm Luna’s reactive side. While I’ve noticed Josie, Dexter, and Wyatt using many of the calming signals with Luna, I haven’t seen her read them or return them. With my newfound awareness I hope that the family and I will find a way to help Luna relearn her dog language. Since she is noise sensitive and doesn’t like raised voices she might have been reprimanded with a loud voice which in turn repressed her dog language/calming signals.



Tonight we’ll attend our class together and be observed by a trainer and hopefully she’ll be able to show me better ways to manage Luna and Wyatt’s behavior while we start over with our counter conditioning.



If you’re looking for a couple of wonderful dog training reads I highly recommend Turid Rugaas’s book on Calming Signals and Emma Parsons Click to Calm. I am only halfway through Click to Calm but I am finding it easy to understand and I should have no problem using it in my daily dog side of life. I’ve placed links to both books under the Pawsitively Good Books heading on the right.



Until next time Woof, Woof, Woof and a Roo!



No comments:

Post a Comment