Pages

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

One Class Down

Last night was the first of six classes on basic manners for dogs. It was sans dogs and I along with 11 others listened to the trainer go over the basic concepts of positive training. I’ve been through similar classes and knew much of what she talked about but it’s always good to have a refresher.



I really enjoyed listening to this trainer. I’ve never worked with her before and after last night I’m sure I and Luna will enjoy this class. She thinks and believes much the same things about dogs and training that I do. She doesn’t like or allow choke chains, I detest them and cringe when I see them used. She doesn’t think of her dogs as humans. Amen! Dogs are not human, they are dogs and they only care about one thing and that is what is good for them in any particular moment. She emphasized that dogs don’t do things like shred your book to make you mad, they do it because at that moment it’s good for them. Perhaps they were bored or under exercised, but they didn’t do it to make you angry. Dogs don’t think that way. It was interesting to watch the other pet parents react to the trainer’s information. Some were skeptical and others seemed to shrug it off. Me I was happy to hear a trainer talk about this subject.



Next week we all attend with our dogs. My gut says that one or two people won’t return because the trainer talked about the hard work and the time it takes to build a strong bond with their dog. But if they listened to her and watched her dog they witnessed the pay off they can all have if they put the time in. She reenergized me to not only work with Luna but to step up the basics and my tricks training with my other dogs!



Until next time, Woof, Woof, Woof and a Roo!



No comments:

Post a Comment