Pages

Saturday, February 3, 2007

It was a long week

It was a long week in my Kingdom of Dogs. If I could erase the last week I would in a heartbeat. As of last Tuesday Luna has ceased going to training class. She went to the vet last Monday to have her leg looked at. Because she needed to be sedated for the x-ray she stayed the night at chez vet.



The results were and were not what I expected. I had expected the vet to say there was arthritis present and a possible fracture, I also expected to hear the words cancer but that wasn’t even spoken. Since I wasn’t there to pick Luna up from the vet I received the diagnosis second-hand. I called the vet on Wednesday but she had the day off so I had to wait until Thursday to speak directly to her. When I finally spoke to her she said her gut told her it wasn’t cancer and basically my gut was wrong and I should make the surgical consultation to see what Luna’s prognosis for fixing the chips and fractures. I was annoyed with her answer. If anything my gut or intuition about my dog is more in tune than the docs.



What bothers me most is that she just gave us pain meds and told us to keep her quiet for 15 to 21 days and to consult the surgeon. That’s easier said than done. The pain meds make her feel like she can run and she loves playing with Josie and I have to play the mean dictator and usher her into the house before she tries to play. Neither my husband nor I have been able to figure out how she fractured her leg in the first place, which really bugs me. The worst part of this whole ordeal is that this has done nothing but make her more aggressive toward my male dogs. I’m almost sure the pain is managed and she’s still going after my male dogs. So for now I will continue to manage the pack, get a second opinion on Luna’s leg and then use all the information I have to make the best possible decision for Luna. Quality of life is most important for her and for the rest of the pack.



Until next time Woof, Woof, Woof and a Roo!



No comments:

Post a Comment