Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

How Green Are You?

I am an admitted Republican and it seems that I am Greener than most and more Green than most Democrats around me.



Lately every time I turn on the TV there is another show or news item about how to go Green. I’ve been recycling for quite a long time and been doing many of the other things suggested. It’s been a slow process for me but I am slowly going from a mint green to a Greener than most around me. Yes, I am doing it for the environment but another part of me is also doing it to put pennies, nickels and dimes back into my wallet!



Here’s what I’m already doing-



• Recycling Aluminum. Not only is my aluminum not going into a landfill it’s doing double   duty by helping our local SPCA raise money.
• Recycling Newspaper. My daughter’s school earns cash for the newspapers so every few   months we drop them off at the school.
• Low flush toilets.
• Unplugged all non-essential appliances.
• In the process of switching from incandescent bulbs to compact florescent. My first floor   is complete and I’ve already earned back the money spent to purchase them! Bedrooms and   upstairs bathrooms are next.
• We use ceiling fans year round.
• I keep my thermostat set at 68 in the winter and 78 in the summer and have since I moved   out on my own.
• Water heater is set to 120 or lower.
• We don’t use napkins or paper plates. Gasp…I actually use our every day dishes and   silverware whether we’re having guests over or not.
• I recycle my plastic and paper bags at my grocery store and my grocery store will give me   a nickel credit for each paper bag I reuse when I shop too.



Things I want to add to go a darker shade of green-



• A tankless water heater.
• Solar panels to subsidize my electrical usage.
• Stop buying bottled water, the filtered water from my tap is fine and no different than   what we buy in those bottles. Really read the labels.
• I want to replace my carpet with bamboo flooring.
• I plan on painting my porch and a few rooms over the next year and plan on using Green   paint (less toxic fumes).
• Adding Smart Strips to control the multiple appliances like the TV, computers and all   their peripherals.



So how Green are you?



Until next time Good Writing!



1 comment:

  1. Have you seen solar shingles yet? If you can shingle a roof and connect Christmas lights, you can install them yourself. You need a south facing roof slope and attic space. I have extra information from a dealer as an e-brochure. If you'd like a look, let me know and I'll forward it to you.

    ReplyDelete