Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2007

I'm Happy

According to an expert on Oprah’s show last week happiness is already inside a person and the pursuit of happiness is not necessary. We should get quiet with ourselves and find our happy place. I believe in that way of thinking, but I also believe that it does take some work. And according to the Happiness test at Oprah.com I have a little work to do on my happiness. I scored a 29 and 31 to 35 is optimal for my “Happy Place”. I already knew that I needed to work on my happiness. But not on knowing where my “Happy Place” is inside me but more on being content with what’s right in front of and already inside me.



I don’t need material things to be happy. In reality all those material things have done is made my life miserable to some degree because they mostly caused debt I didn’t need to carry. Some of the material things have made my life easier but I’m learning that easier doesn’t always equal happiness. Happiness, true happiness does require work because to find my true happiness I need to wade through the clutter that we’re told will make us happy and get rid of what doesn’t.



I’ve made a list of what truly makes me happy and was surprised to see that many of them did not involve expensive material things.



1.    Waking each morning.
2.    My family.
3.    My dogs.
4.    My writing.
5.    My photography.
6.    Working with the kids at my job.
7.    My volunteer work.
8.    My friends both online and off.
9.    Laughing and making others laugh.
10.    Reading.



Looking at my list I see only a few expensive items needed, my camera and lenses, my laptop for writing and photo editing, though I do most of my writing with pen and paper first. I walk to work each day with my youngest daughter so a car is not needed. My dogs require nothing more than my time, food and water. I happily give my time to them because I love them like family and they keep me moving which in turn benefits my health and theirs. I love to teach them new tricks and then show off their talents to my friends and family. My dogs make me smile and laugh. My kids and husband make me smile and laugh too. I’m on the road to a happier place with them because I’m making a better effort to appreciate them and I’m getting healthier physically.



One of the questions on Oprah’s happiness show was “If I could live my life over, I would change almost nothing.” And on the scale of 1 to 7, one being not at all true and seven being absolutely true I answered 6 because I would change two things. The two things I would change would be not starting to smoke and listening to that little voice inside more. Since I can’t change the past I will learn from it.



Until next time may you find all you’re searching for!



No comments:

Post a Comment