Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Worms, Dental and Grooming Gone Wrong

What a week! Actually it all started last Saturday with
Wyatt’s grooming. The DH and I took him for the twenty minute drive to the
Stafford Petco. His usual groomer left for maternity leave and the girl there
had been present for his past grooming so I thought she could do it. Boy was I
wrong. My poor boy was butchered. I explained what I wanted and the DH said I
was clear and what we ended up with was bare patches and long strands of fur.
We asked that he have his ears plucked, not done. Asked that his coat be taken
down from the almost 4 inches to ¾ or 1 inch and we ended up with ¼ inch! She
left what looked like pom poms on his feet when I asked for them to be clipped
because he spends a ton of time in the wading pool and I’d like to avoid mats!
This girl will not touch my boy again and we’ll be finding a new groomer
because the other is not coming back.





Wyatt Before his butchering-





Wyatt524601









Wyatt522901





































































Wyatt After- Crw_525301_2









Wyatt5248edited

















If that wasn’t enough the groomer informed me that Wyatt had
worms! Great, just what we need. What really got me was she suggested that I
buy the dewormer offered on their store shelves. What a joke! I would never
treat something blindly especially since you don’t know what kind of worms
you’re treating. I also had doubts about him having worms because his heart worm
meds treat the most common kinds of worms as well. It’s a good thing I didn’t
try to treat him myself because it turned out that he had a tapeworm. These are
not transferred dog to dog. Because I also have him on a monthly flea treatment
he didn’t get them from a flea bite. Most likely he ingested a flea that was
infected. Not much I or anyone else can do about that. Wyatt has had his first
dose of the wormer and in three weeks will have the second, then we’ll check
his stool and hopefully it’ll be clean.





Dexter and Josie are parasite free, but we found out that
Dexter needs a couple of teeth pulled. I feel terrible that I was putting off
his slow eating to being picky. He’s never been one to scarf down his food and
he’s not usually picky but the last month he has been both. Now I know why his
teeth are hurting him. I went to my regular but I doubt they will be my vet for
long because their estimate for the extraction is padded with a bunch of crap
that two years ago I didn’t see on an estimate for a tooth that Josie had taken
out. Not to mention that since they merged with this giant company their rates
have double and tripled in some areas. Thankfully I was able to get Dexter in
with a well respected vet amongst my VAGA friends next week. She’ll take a look
at Dexter’s teeth and then I hope we’ll get to take care of them quickly after
that so Dexter can go back to his normal, happy, pain-free self!





Until next time Woof, Woof, and a Roo!



2 comments:

  1. I am so glad the greys don't have any real coat maintenance requirements. Clip nails and brush teeth. Bath every now and then. Ever tried taking the clippers to Wyatt yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grooming is the worst part about Wyatt. I guess the husband and I couldn't do any more damage than what's already happened. I am happy that nails, teeth and an occasional bath are all Dexter and Josie need :)

    ReplyDelete