Pages

Monday, February 25, 2008

12 Books Down 40 to Go

I finished my 12th book of the year, Identical Strangers this morning. I gave it three stars because it was an interesting story, but it played better on television than in the written form. Their TV appearances were more interesting than the authors writing. For two women that are writers I felt the writing was flat. Their writer's voice came off as indifferent and uncaring about their own story. Upside is I learned a few new things about DNA. I mistakenly wrote in my last entry that I finished my 12th book but I was wrong. The next two books on my book clubs list are Devil in the White City by Erik Larson and Spring and Fall by Nicolas Delbanco. I am looking forward to both. But before I start those I will finish reading New Earth by Eckhart Tolle and then I’ll read Minion by LA Banks. Right now I’m two books ahead on our list. We will discuss Cane River on Thursday and then we’ll discuss Identical Strangers on March 13th so I don’t want to be too far ahead and forget or confuse what I hope to discuss.



I am working my way through the Writing the Break Out Novel work book by Donald Maass. I’m finding the process enlightening because I usually write off the cuff with little planning other than knowing my characters names and a little of what they’re like. I’m a planner in other areas of my life so why not apply it to my novel writing. Now I need to get back to that planning.



Until next time good reading and writing!



No comments:

Post a Comment