Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I Am Me?

Who am I? Who are you? If I were to ask “Who are you?” what would your answer be? If you asked me that question a few weeks ago I might have said I was a writer, photographer, wife and mother, today I would answer “me” because writer, photographer, wife and mother are roles I play, they don’t define me and I choose not to be defined by them. I am me nothing more and nothing less. My story is not more important or less than those around me because I’ve let go of my past and I’m living in the now. I’ve decided that I will not talk of my medical problems unless it is with my doctor because I’ve found that the less I vocalize it the better I feel. I’m able to find peace because it is what it is and I can’t change the fact that it happened. I can let go of it and begin to affect change the way I have over the last year by changing my diet, exercising and making peace with my life by living in the present.



I was asked this morning who am I? I replied me. This person laughed and said, “Really who are you?”



I said again, “Me.”  Then I asked them if what they really wanted to know was what do I do and they said yes. I replied at this moment I am a child care provider. That seemed to make them feel better, but that’s my job, my role that was required of me at that moment, not who I am. I decided to leave the question “Who am I?” open ended because I am me and that can be anything at any given moment.



Until next time good writing and reading!



3 comments:

  1. Who I am is a constantly evolving process. Hopefully I am learning and progressing with time. As for the question of what do you do for a living. That seems to be an American thing. I saw a survey where that is one of the top questions asked in America, but near the bottom of the list in most other countries. Guess that shows where we place our priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with Stella's manboy. i tend to want to ask what people do for a living if they mention a lot of travel or something else curious. otherwise i don't really care. what do you do on your time off or what do you do for fun is always much more interesting. i brace myself for the 'what do you do' question when i go home. i like to answer that i run, spin, read, knit, and do other things like that. "no, what do you do for a living?" exactly.
    i don't know why people ask that. a lot of times no one knows what to say afterwards. some jobs don't lead to much conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always curious about people but I personally don't ask anymore about their jobs.

    ReplyDelete