Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2008

50K Knocked Off and 30 to Go (NaNo goal Complete)

Yesterday I finished NaNo. I reached the 50K mark in 14 days, that beats the 18 days it took me last year. I reached the finish line according to NaNo guidelines but I am far from the complete story. Actually I’ve only reached the middle. I’ve completed NaNo five years prior to this year and the major difference with my sixth NaNo is that I’ve learned to write with more detail and the research I did the week before writing began definitely pushed my story along. And I’ve learned to leave a note in the story to remind me that I need to fill in later if my research didn’t cover something.

I’ve made the 50K goal of NaNo and now it's on for me to make the next 30 to 40K by November 30th.

In the midst of NaNo I finished reading my 63rd book of the year. It was Holidays on Ice, by David Sedaris. It opens with a funny story about working at Santa Land at Macy’s in New York but then goes into darker tales of the holiday season. It was an amazing read but if you’re looking for laugh out loud you’ll want to read something else because the stories while funny in places are much darker.

Until next time good writing and reading!



6 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't know how you manage to do that. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lauri! It's called tunnel vision ;-) I basically didn't do anything but write during the time of 9 am and 1 pm, M-F. I just finished transcribing, now I can start on the end of the story Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! Good for you.
    I hope we get to see some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Lisa! Now I have almost two novels to show the group! I think I'm more jazzed about the NaNo story, though both are different types of writing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Linda, that's great. I'm only just inching up there with my NaNo count. Thanks for the mini review of the Sedaris book, too. I like him and will probably add this one to my TBR pile, but not until after Christmas, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I discovered Sedaris with Me Talk Pretty. Keep writing and you'll make it! I read it right after my mom passed and it helped keep in a good place because it made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete