Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Not Enough Time

It’s been quite a while since I posted. I’ve been busy working. I work a split shift job and I’ve done some substitute teaching in between shifts and that’s draining. I’ve been writing and I’m working on a new story about a man married 40 years and coming to terms with his wife’s Alzheimer’s. The story is literally spilling onto the page, it’s a miraculous feeling. I’ve let go of my inner critic and editor and I take the good days with the bad. I learn more from the bad days so now the bad days aren’t so awful. You really can’t have one without the other and quite frankly I wouldn’t want to live without either. Could you imagine how boring life would be if it were all good or how terrible it would be if there were always problems? I’ve come to terms that both will happen whether I ask for them or not so I am going to live life with whatever is thrown my way and that includes writing.

The last few weeks I’ve heard quite a few people complaining they don’t have enough time to get everything finished. I admit I don’t understand because I tend to complete what I need to do each day. I know that sounds smug but I don’t mean it too. I just prioritize what I need to accomplish. Three areas of my life need to be taken care of each day and those are work, family life and my writing. If I take care of those three things I’ve completed everything that’s necessary in my day.

I started talking more in depth with some people and realized I don’t do many of the things they do with their time. I have a blog the same as them but as you can see this is the first time I’ve written since 2008. Each of them have MySpace, Face Book, YouTube and Twitter accounts and I’m sure there are others but the people I’ve been talking too have all these networking services and participate heavily on them. When they complain to me that they have no time for things like their writing or art I wonder if it has anything to do with all their networking? Because I have plenty of time, I work a full time job, get dinner made, usually get in two to three hours of writing a day (not on weekends) I help with homework if I’m able, that’s difficult when your children are doing math you never learned. My sophomore is doing advanced algebra II. I’m there if they need research or writing help, I even help with the sciences. I only clean house on the weekends, but I do mini cleans during the week. And I get the whole family involved in the running of our household. And yes, even when my children were toddlers they made their own small contributions to our household.

I’m rambling and what I’d really like to know is what is so wonderful about these networking sites if you’re unable to complete what you consider necessary in your life? Do you really need to know if your favorite celebrity or best friend is using the toilet or listening to some song you can’t stand? It’s another excuse for people to avoid living life and I’d rather be out of the social networking loop if it means I am living life!

Until next time- Breathe Easy and live life!



No comments:

Post a Comment