Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sink and Wading Pools get a Second Life

What a jam packed weekend. The DH and I haven’t sat still. Saturday we spent the day gathering the organic soil to add to our garden. We bought a few plants and some seed packets. My wonderful husband tilled the garden and today we’ll add most of the organic soil and till that in. Tonight when the sun starts to go down the kids and I will transplant the plants we bought.

There are still a couple of small projects for the garden and they fall under the recycle and reuse categories. Late last year we replaced our porcelain kitchen sink with stainless steel and the old sink has sat on our back porch for the last six months. Well no longer will it sit on the porch without a purpose. This week it will become the home of my new herb garden! That’s right I’m going to turn it into a planter. I figure if people use old bathtubs why not use the old sink. But that’s not the only item around our home that’s getting a second life. We are making a raised bed planter out of the broken wading pools from last summer. The sides are in tact. The bottoms are shot, so we’ll cut the bottoms out, place them on some garden screen and then fill them with organic soil. One will become the home of our strawberry patch; the other will be home to broccoli and carrots. By next weekend our garden will be well on its way to feeding us. I can’t wait to eat the first of the fresh veggies!

Not only have the hubster and I tackled the garden we also cleaned out the garage earlier this morning! We now have it ready to put in some new shelving. Next weekend we’ll take all the give away items to the respective charities. Then take the old refrigerator to be recycled. I want to set up a convenient and organized recycle center under the new shelves. I’m cleaning out the house and now it’s time to clear out the garage!

With each small step of getting the clutter out of the yard, garage and home I feel lighter. I feel more creative and I’m writing more. Check back next week to see my new planter.

Until next time Breathe Easy and Live Life.



No comments:

Post a Comment