Pages

Friday, October 2, 2009

Reading and Writing



What are you reading? I have a list on the left and right
columns that show what’s on my bookshelf and what I’ve recently read. Currently
I am reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I must admit I’m not a Jane Austen
fan and the only reason I am reading this is that there are zombies! I have
seen the PBS adaptation of P & P and liked it. I am almost finished and the
book is only okay. I love the zombie parts but the rest of it is a tedious read.
I’m not a fru fru reader. I’ve never liked romance novels and after reading P
& P Zombies, I probably won’t read any other Jane Austen. In movie form, I
might sit and watch.



 



 I’ve written several
novels, 13 to be exact. I’ve edited revised and rewritten 10 of them. Seven of
those 10 suck completely; the only salvageable parts from the others are a
couple of characters from each story. Two of the three left are making the
rounds to agents. The last one I’ve been working on since 2007 and I made the
decision to file the manuscript for the time being. I’ve reached a plateau on this
manuscript. I’ve rewritten the entire novel twice. As it currently stands, my
story doesn’t resemble the first draft in any form. I know I’m not finished
with the novel, but I need some distance to figure out what is wrong and/or missing.



 



During the month of October, I am going to flesh out the
story and characters for my next novel, number 14. I am going to use index
cards to build the plot and storyline. This is a different method for me
especially since I usually write by the tip of my pen. Something needs to
change so I’m changing my method. By the end of this month, I will have the
bones of my next novel and then I will NaNoWriMo through the month of November.
I’ve participated in National Novel Writing Month every year since 2003 and
every year I have written at least 50 K to win the challenge of writing a novel
in a month. I have a blast participating. I hope that my preparation will aid
me in finishing a more complete novel than in past years.



 



Tell me what you’re reading and will you NaNo?



 



Until next time, live well now.



No comments:

Post a Comment