Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

NaNo & Book Review





I’ve made it to NaNo Day 4! I am at 10K plus with word
count. I’m not sure I like writing the chick lit genre. I want to add something
from the paranormal realm. To keep myself on track I am using Post Its to jot
down my ideas for the unusual. I do like my characters and the story line if I
were to twist it toward the unusual is something I haven’t read.





I have a new item to add to my NaNo must have list. It’s
Greek yogurt! I’m giving two spoons up to the Chobani brand. It has up to 14
grams of protein! It really fills me at snack time or even as a breakfast. It
has 140 calories compared to other yogurts but the taste is far superior. It’s
all natural with no artificial anything. If you’ve not tried it you should
you’ll never go back to those other yogurts.





Arms of a Stranger by Giselle Carmichael nearly became the
worst book I’ve ever read. It would have been the worst had the last three or
four chapters not picked up in pace. That said I have a book mark that has the
word BELIEVE inscribed into it. I noticed I referred to it often while reading
this book and I’ve come to the realization that I did so to reaffirm my belief
that I could/would finish the book.





There was nothing special about this book. The characters
were flat. None of the people in the book popped off the page, well none of the
ones we were supposed to care about. The best character in the book is
Courtney. She’s outrageous and your first instinct is to not like her. This
character had fire and passion. Then there’s the hero’s name, Keithen what’s up
with that? All the other characters had normal names you didn’t have to stumble
over to read. An unusual name or spelling does not make a character different
or interesting. The dialog was stilted and boring. The scenery of the gulf
coast popped more than the story or characters.



What did come through is the author’s passion for the gulf
coast. It’s too bad that passion didn’t translate to her characters and story.

Until next time, live well now.



No comments:

Post a Comment